DOCTOR & SINGER-SONGWRITER
Click here for a good interview article by Clout Magazine to sum it up.
Alternate Jane, a doctor-musician from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, was the blasphemous child who fast-forwarded all the Disney songs (her childhood memory of an average Disney movie was just about 30 minutes long) until she grew up and heard the band Evanescence's song "Bring Me to Life" on the radio. Amy Lee's soaring vocals and unique style inspired her to sing, while Michelle Branch and her blue Taylor 614ce inspired her to pick up the guitar.
Sparked by her motivation to not be just a Plain Jane in the music industry, as well as a little driving into the sunset moment listening to Indie band alt-J (from the OST for Life is Strange) and wondering what the band name stood for, the name Alternate Jane was born.
A finalist for the KL Performing Arts Centre's Short + Sweet Song Festival in 2014 during her student days, she subsequently focused on her medical career until a brief stint in the Psychiatry rotation reminded her the importance of chasing her dreams and living with no regrets.
Debuting "Confidence" in 2019 to modest success with the song featured in various Spotify Editorial Playlists like Just Rock and New Music Friday Malaysia, it was also picked up by local radio station Hitz.fm and was featured on their segment Malaysian English Top (MET) 10 with an interview by DJ Basil. She subsequently released the indie pop darling "Skype Love" followed by two collaborations with Netherlands beatmaker Cruzu for "My Type" (2020) and "Nearly" (2021), both of which featured a distinctively different flavour (R&B) from her usual genres. "My Type", a collaboration with Cruzu and rapper Peaceley, has achieved 30k streams on Spotify since its release.
After a hiatus taken to attend to Covid-19 related duties and subsequently battling Covid-19 herself, Alternate Jane realised the importance of cherishing every available moment and resuming the fight for her dreams.
Music Single (Debut)
- Featured on Malaysian radio station Hitz.fm's Malaysian English Top (MET) 10 segment with an interview by DJ Basil
- Featured on Spotify Editorial Playlists "New Music Friday Malaysia", "Just Rock" and other independent playlists such as Facebook Artists
- Covered by music blogs Lefuturewave and Hip Hop Headquarters
- Featured as an unreleased track preview on Malaysian radio station Hitz.fm's Malaysian English Top (MET) 10 segment with an interview by DJ Basil
- Premiered by music blog Caesar Live N Loud
- Featured on Spotify Editorial Playlists "New Music Friday Malaysia", "Made in Malaysia" and other independent playlists
17 February 2023
Latest Music Single
- Featured on independent radio stations AMS Radio, jpgchief and European Indie Music Network's Formula Indie segment
- Featured on Spotify independent curator playlists like "Mickey's Weekly", "New Sounds from ASIA" by Roadie Music and "Less than 1k Followers" blog playlist
- Feature as part of an interview by Clout Magazine, RGM Press, Lost in the Manor, FV Music Blog and Sinuisoidal Magazine
- Reviewed by Plastic Magazine, Send Me Your Ears, Less than 1k Followers music blog, The Other Side Reviews, Mesmerised, KIMU, Edgar Allan Poets, Illustrate Magazine, Rock Era Magazine, Indie Music Flix, Mickey's Weekly, Pop Hits, 1111CR3W, Roadie Music, Música en Palabras etc.
Collaboration with Netherlands producer & beatmaker Cruzu:
"My Type" (2020)
Cruzu (feat. Alternate Jane & Peaceley)
Cruzu (feat. Alternate Jane & Eddy J)
- "My Type" was premiered on music blog Reignland Magazine and subsequently featured on Hello Asia, Fresh: Hip Hop & R&B and Caesar Live N Loud
- Both songs were featured on multiple independent playlists, with "My Type" achieving 30k streams on Spotify
NEW MUSIC SINGLE
"HIGHER GROUND" OUT NOW
"Overall, “Higher Ground” is an impressive follow-up to Alternate Jane’s previous releases, showcasing her growth and evolution as an artist. Her ability to tell a story through her music is evident in the way she weaves together lyrics and instrumentation to create a fully immersive experience for the listener." - Plastic Magazine
Click the button below to listen to
"Higher Ground" on Spotify
MUSIC VIDEO FOR
When the person you love isn't who you think he or she is, will you follow them into the rabbit hole and discover the whole truth?
Inspired by music from James Bond films and the mystery genre, this song combines the noir theme with a romantic twist, which makes it a unique listening experience for Valentine's Week.
Written and directed by: Alternate Jane
Drawn and animated by: Als
MUSIC VIDEO FOR
"Confidence" was debuted in 2019 to modest success with the song featured in various Spotify Editorial Playlists like Just Rock and New Music Friday Malaysia.
The song was also picked up by local radio station Hitz.fm and was featured on their segment Malaysian English Top (MET) 10 with an interview by DJ Basil.
Performance by: Alternate Jane and Marian Yap
Produced by: Josh Awang Lee
Video by: Josh Awang Lee